This week, we are writing about what makes Azerbaijan and Balakan special. The students will write about what they believe is unique about their country and/or their region. In honor of this assignment, I wrote my own little list of the 5 things I think make Maine so special and what I most often think about while over here.
1. I love being so close to nature. From where I live, I can be in the mountains hiking, on the beach with my dog, and water skiing on the lake, all in the same day. I am a very active person and love being outdoors. In Maine, the possibilities are endless. Did I mention the skiing in the winter?!
|Sunset on Long Pond|
|Running with my dog Gretzky at Higgins Beach|
|My brother waterskiing|
2. I’ve got to give a shout out to fresh Maine seafood! There’s nothing like eating a lobster, salmon, or Bang Island mussels, and knowing exactly where it came from! Plus, it costs about half the price! I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
|A lobster boat working on Casco Bay|
3. Swimming in the ocean or rivers (ideally off a rope swing) is certainly up there among the top reasons why I love Maine. The apprehension leading up to the jump, knowing how cold the water below is, the momentary shock as you enter the water, the girlish scream you involuntarily let out, the sharp sting that goes shooting up your legs and spine, the hyperventilating, the gasping, and then, finally, the adrenaline, the desire to jump again, and again, and again, and again. By this point it doesn’t really matter, you’re numb anyway!
|The rope swing near our house on the Presumpscot River|
|My brother and I at the pier we jump off on Macworth Island|
|Jumping into the ocean at Five Islands|
4. I never realized how much I’d miss the fog. Looking out onto Casco Bay, suddenly a bright, beautiful day can turn into a dark and dreary one that makes you feel like the sun will never shine again. And just like that, in the blink of an eye, the sun is back, shining brighter than ever!
|The fog coming in at Portland Head Light|
5. Lastly, Maine’s proximity to other places is truly unmatched. Enjoy the peace and quiet of Maine for as long as you like. Personally, I can only take that for so long. Not a problem! In 2 hours, I’m in downtown Boston, in 5, I’m in New York City to the south and Montreal to the north! What more could I possibly need?!